Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blessing in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. Peterís Catholic Church

 
 
St. Peterís Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
1. St. Peterís Catholic Church Marker
Inscription.  

Though Catholic settlers initially arrived in this area in the 1800s, it was in 1912, just five years after the founding of Blessing, that a Mass was held in the community. At first, Mass was held in the homes of Blessing residents, whenever traveling priests were available. In 1914, the Townsite Company, owned by city founder Jonathan Edwards Pierce, donated land for use as a church. Catholic residents completed construction on a building on the property in 1915. It was placed under the patronage of Saint Peter. At first, St. Peterís Catholic Church was a mission parish attended on occasion by priests from Victoria, Port Lavaca and other surrounding communities. In 1930, the Rev. A.J. Weber became the churchís first resident priest.

The church has moved twice in its long history. In 1947, members purchased this property, opening a remodeled army chapel here the next year. That structure was replaced by the current one, which was dedicated in 1976.

The congregation of St. Peterís Catholic Church has a long history of helping residents of the Blessing Community. They have provided regular meals to senior citizens, and
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
have given food and other donations to the needy. The congregation has also organized area social events, including an annual fall festival which has become a community tradition. Today, St. Peterís Catholic Church continues to be a beacon of light in the Blessing community, serving the needs of area residents.
 
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15337.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
 
Location. 28° 52.194′ N, 96° 13.198′ W. Marker is in Blessing, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of Hickory Street and Avenue A, on the right when traveling west on Hickory Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 Hickory Street, Blessing TX 77419, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Masonic Lodge #411 (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Blessing State Bank (about 800 feet away); Blessing Library Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Hawley Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Demingís Bridge Community (approx. 3.1 miles away); William Walter ďPudgeĒ Heffelfinger (approx. 3.2 miles away); Hawley Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Grimes Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blessing.
St. Peterís Catholic Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
2. St. Peterís Catholic Church and Marker
 
The view of the St. Peterís Catholic Church from the road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
3. The view of the St. Peterís Catholic Church from the road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 14, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 138 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 14, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=168640

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024