Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palacios in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Camp Hulen

 
 
Site of Camp Hulen Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
1. Site of Camp Hulen Marker
Inscription.  

Camp Palacios was established on this site in 1925 as the summer training camp for the Texas National Guard's 36th Division, which had formed during World War I as the 36th Infantry. The division, which became the 36th Infantry Division during World War II, trained here each summer 1926-1927 and 1939.

Located on the Turtle and Tres Palacios Bays, the land was donated by Palacios area citizens. More than 6,000 Guardsmen arrived in July 1926 for the first training session. In 1930, the camp was renamed for Major General John A. Hulen (1871-1957). On its 1,200 acres the new camp supported the largest concentration of troops for field training in the United States military, with facilities for several thousand inhabitants.

In 1940, the War Department leased Camp Hulen; first to undergo anti-aircraft training were National Guard units from several states. By 1941, the City of Palacios suffered a housing shortage that was elevated by government housing for military families and civilian workers near Camp Hulen. After extensive development, the camp had facilities for 12,000 military personnel. Basic training continued until
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
early 1944, when U.S. Soldiers were removed. German prisoners of war, guarded by a small contingent of U.S. personnel, were housed here from 1943 to 1945.

In 1946, the War Department returned Camp Hulen to the National Guard, for whom it had become too small, buildings were slowly, dismantled and sold. In 1965, the property was sold jointly to a group of Palacios citizens and a development company
 
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12055.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, World IWar, World II. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1926.
 
Location. 28° 42.115′ N, 96° 14.594′ W. Marker is in Palacios, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 35) and Marine Center Drive (County Highway 321), on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Palacios TX 77465, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General John Augustus Hulen (here, next to this marker); Palacios Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); Palacios Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Palacios Colored School (approx. 1˝ miles away); Cates-Price House (approx. 1.6 miles away); W.C. Williams Building
The Site of Camp Hulen Marker is the second marker from the left of the two markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
2. The Site of Camp Hulen Marker is the second marker from the left of the two markers
(approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Palacios Hotel (approx. 1.7 miles away); R.J. Hill Building (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palacios.
 
Also see . . .  Camp Hulen.
The association had in mind the economic benefits a military training center would bring Palacios. Some 6,500 men came to the first training session in the summer of 1926. Beginning in July 1926 Camp Palacios had a newspaper, the Camp Palacios T-Arrow Daily, published by the Palacios Beacon; its name was derived from the symbols for the two states that largely made up the Thirty-sixth Division: T for Texas and an arrowhead for Oklahoma. Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on March 17, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Site of Camp Hulen Marker from the road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
3. The view of the Site of Camp Hulen Marker from the road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 456 times since then and 124 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 17, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=168809

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 19, 2024