Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Anderson in Madison County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Main

 
 
Old Main Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, March 16, 2021
1. Old Main Marker
Inscription.  

Old Main was constructed in 1905 by workers of the Gospel Trumpet Company to provide housing for their families. Timbers came from the St. Louis World's Fair. Building blocks were made by hand on the site. It became the birthplace of Anderson College in 1917, providing offices, classrooms, laboratories, living quarters for faculty and students, a chapel, library, laundry, dining room, and post office. It was replaced by Decker Hall in 1970.
 
Erected by Dr. John A. Morrison family, former Anderson College President.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & ReligionEducation.
 
Location. 40° 6.679′ N, 85° 39.962′ W. Marker is in Anderson, Indiana, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Street and Walnut Street, on the right when traveling west on 5th Street. The marker is in front of Anderson University's Decker Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1100 East Fifth Street, Anderson IN 46012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker. "Pioneer Rock" (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bob Carey (approx. 0.2 miles away); Park Place Church Of God (approx. ¼ mile away); Madison County Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Anderson High School World War I Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Madison County Historic Home (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Madison County Veterans' Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Public Square (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
 
Old Main Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, March 16, 2021
2. Old Main Marker
A nearby University seal, about 500 feet west of the marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, March 16, 2021
3. A nearby University seal, about 500 feet west of the marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 17, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=168892

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 21, 2024