Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Anderson in Madison County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

"Pioneer Rock"

Dedicated to God

 
 
"Pioneer Rock" Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, March 16, 2021
1. "Pioneer Rock" Marker
Inscription.  

Near this spot in 1905 Enoch and Noah Byrum, A.J. Byers and J.B. Martin, leaders of the Church of God and officers of the Gospel Trumpet Company in Moundsville, West Virginia, knelt to dedicate this 40 acre tract as their new headquarters. After purchasing the tract for $200 per acre, they constructed a building (later known as Old Main, birth place of Anderson College) to accommodate the 300 workers- including their families- and a publishing plant, now known as Warner Press.

Additional marker
Dedicated to God
Enoch and Noah Byrum visited Anderson, Ind. in 1905 after hearing reports of low land prices. They wanted to relocate the Gospel Trumpet Company from West Virginia. Enoch and Noah stepped off the train onto a 40 acre tract of land that was for sale. On this site, the brothers prayed and dedicated this land to God.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation.
 
Location. 40° 6.768′ N, 85° 40.014′ W. Marker is in Anderson, Indiana, in Madison County. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is at the intersection of College Drive and University Boulevard, on the right when traveling north on College Drive. The marker is on the grounds of Anderson University. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 327 College Drive, Anderson IN 46012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bob Carey (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Main (about 600 feet away); Madison County Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Anderson High School World War I Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Park Place Church Of God (approx. 0.3 miles away); Madison County Historic Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Madison County Veterans' Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Public Square (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
 
An additional "Pioneer Rock" Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, March 16, 2021
2. An additional "Pioneer Rock" Marker
"Pioneer Rock" Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, March 16, 2021
3. "Pioneer Rock" Marker
"Pioneer Rock" Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, March 16, 2021
4. "Pioneer Rock" Marker
This view of the marker is from the center of College Drive.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 17, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=168903

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024