Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palacios in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Texas Baptist Encampment Grounds

 
 
Texas Baptist Encampment Grounds Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
1. Texas Baptist Encampment Grounds Marker
Inscription.  

Selected in 1906 by the Texas Baptist convention as the site for a permanent encampment grounds, this coastal area was the scene of many inspirational camp meetings typical of Texas and the entire south in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

In those days thousands of families would come by wagon, surrey, buggy, but primarily by train to spend weeks or longer at the grounds. Religious activities and the opportunity for relaxation and social life made the days pass pleasantly. The campers enjoyed fishing, swimming, and boat rides on the bay.

On opening day of the first camp meeting here (held July 3-12, 1906) gate keepers had to use buckets to collect the $1 admission fees - typically paid in silver dollars. Campers stayed in the varied quarters provided and cooked their meals out of doors.

Over the years, many outstanding Baptist ministers spoke at the meetings. Among these were John L. Hill and George W. Truett. Prominent leaders included J.F. Barnett, R.H. Coleman, T.C. Gardner, and Bob Jolly.

The first permanent auditorium was moved from La Porte (site of earlier encampments). It was replaced by a memorial
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
auditorium, 1923. The present building was erected after the hurricane of 1942.
 
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5249.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
 
Location. 28° 41.95′ N, 96° 12.623′ W. Marker is in Palacios, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of 1st Street and Duson Avenue, on the left when traveling south on 1st Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Palacios TX 77465, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lions Pier (approx. 0.2 miles away); Palacios Preparatory School (approx. ¼ mile away); St. John’s Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); First Baptist Church of Palacios (approx. ¼ mile away); Kerry Duane Dale Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Price-Farwell House (approx. ¼ mile away); Palacios Pavilions (approx. 0.3 miles away); History of the Palacios Pavilion (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palacios.
 
Texas Baptist Encampment Grounds and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
2. Texas Baptist Encampment Grounds and Marker
The entrance to the Texas Baptist Encampment Grounds image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
3. The entrance to the Texas Baptist Encampment Grounds
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=169004

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 16, 2024