Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palacios in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

W.C. Williams Building

 
 
W.C. Williams Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
1. W.C. Williams Building Marker
Inscription.  

William Conrad “Billy” (W.C.) Williams was born in Matagorda County on February 20, 1854, to John Aaron Williams (1816 - 1865) and Catharine Elizabeth (Franz) Williams (1827 - 1914). John was a ship’s carpenter from Denmark. Catharine, his wife, was from Germany. W.C. Williams married Martha Alice Franz, (1860 - 1952) in 1876, a union which produced seven children. Before moving to Palacios, Williams was a childhood friend of well known author Charles Angelo Siringo and is mentioned several times in A Texas Cowboy. The families lived near each other on Matagorda Island in a small colony called the “Dutch Settlement”. In 1903, Williams, his brother and son were involved in oil ventures in the lucrative Big Hill Oil Discovery Area in Jefferson County. Williams came to Palacios in 1904 at the age of fifty and purchased a lot intending to erect a commercial building.

The Williams Building was completed in 1909 in the Romanesque style with circular arches. The 4200 square foot brick structure was the cornerstone of the business community and an anchor to Palacios’ Downtown. The first recorded occupant
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
was Palacios Hardware owned by O.L. Sparks and then G.H. Davis. The building was also home to Traylor Hardware, the office of Dr. Joseph Wagner, Golden Rule Grocery, Price Cash Hardware, and Lawson Hardware. Williams continued to live in Palacios until his death on November 24, 1946 at the age of ninety-two. The Williams Building remained in the family until the 1970’s. This historic building is a reminder of Downtown Palacios before Hurricane Carla in 1961 destroyed many commercial buildings and homes.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2015
 
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18282.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is February 20, 1854.
 
Location. 28° 42.03′ N, 96° 12.993′ W. Marker is in Palacios, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of Commerce Street and 5th Street, on the right when traveling west on Commerce Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 456 Commerce Street, Palacios TX 77465, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Palacios Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); R.J. Hill Building (about 400 feet away); Cates-Price House (about 500 feet away); Price-Farwell House
W.C. Williams Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
2. W.C. Williams Building and Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Palacios Pavilions (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of the Palacios Pavilion (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. John’s Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kerry Duane Dale Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palacios.
 
The view of the W.C. Williams Building from the road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
3. The view of the W.C. Williams Building from the road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 138 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on March 20, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=169053

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024