Haddon Township in Camden County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Joshua Saddler is reputed to have been a Maryland fugitive slave whom Josiah Evans, a Quaker, helped to gain his freedom. Accounts of Joshua's escape, discovery, and emancipation, while interspersed with historical accuracy, has not yet been confirmed. However records reveal that by 1834, Saddler and his family were known as "free persons of color" in the community. On May 3, 1842, with "Two Hundred Dollars of lawful money well and truly paid," Joshua Saddler purchased five acres of land in Haddon Township (then Newton Township, Gloucester County, NJ), from the estate of John Rowand. These five acres became known as "Saddlertown." Joshua and Hannah his wife lived the balance of their lives in the settlement, as did a good number of their eleven children. Hannah died in Saddlertown on September 12, 1877. Joshua followed on January 15, 1880. In his Last Will and Testament, proved February 5, 1880, Joshua expressed the desire that Saddlertown land remain in family hands. He also admonished the family that they were "...in no instance to commit waste by cutting the timber growing thereon..."
On August 22, 1892 Haddonfield Quakers
The Saddlertown community was enlarged in 1899 when Dr. Lawrence L. Glover purchased land from Sarah Elizabeth Hunt, adding an additional 18 building lots to the Saddlertown tract.
Saddlertown history also includes the Saddlertown Summer Rest Cottage, founded in 1893-94 by Isabel M. Shipley of Camden, NJ. The home was advertised as a "summer home for aged and infirmed colored people." For at least 20 years Shipley cared for a reported 200 people. Shipley described the rest home as being in Saddlertown "across from a chapel built by a friend of the race [Charles Rhoads]."
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is January 15, 1880.
Location. 39° 54.124′ N, 75° 3.272′ W. Marker is in Haddon Township, New Jersey, in Camden County. Marker is at the intersection of Rhoads Avenue and MacArthur Blvd., on the left when traveling north on Rhoads Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Rhoads Avenue, Collingswood NJ 08108, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saddler’s Woods (approx. ¼ mile away); King’s Road / Chew’s Landing Road (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Hadrosaurus foulkii Sculpture (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hadrosaurus foulkii (approx. 1.1 miles away); Albertson Memorial Drinking Fountain (approx. 1.1 miles away); New Jersey Building (approx. 1.2 miles away); In Memory of Elizabeth Haddon (approx. 1.2 miles away); Jonas Cattell (approx. 1.2 miles away).
Regarding Saddlertown. Rhoads Temple currently serves as an active United Methodist Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 23, 2021, by Thomas Anderson of Haddon Township, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 23, 2021, by Thomas Anderson of Haddon Township, New Jersey. 3. submitted on March 29, 2021, by Thomas Anderson of Haddon Township, New Jersey. 4. submitted on March 23, 2021, by Thomas Anderson of Haddon Township, New Jersey. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?