Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fields Store in Waller County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Field's Store Community

 
 
Field's Store Community Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 20, 2021
1. Field's Store Community Marker
Inscription.  

Settlers began arriving in this vicinity prior to the Civil War. In the early 1870s Druey Holland Field (1809-72) and his wife Caroline (Perry) (1837-76) opened a general store in the area, and the small agricultural settlement that soon developed became known as Field's Store Community. A center of business for the surrounding rural area, the settlement was the site of a school, post office, brick kiln, blacksmith shop, cotton gin and other businesses. Also known as New Hope Community, it retains a sense of identity that reflects its early role as the nucleus of pioneer settlement.
 
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9382.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 30° 9.893′ N, 95° 55.45′ W. Marker is in Fields Store, Texas, in Waller County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 1488 and Farm to Market Road 362, on the right when traveling west on Highway 1488. The marker
Field's Store Community Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 20, 2021
2. Field's Store Community Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
is located on a brick column along the road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waller TX 77484, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fields Store Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Reid's Prairie Baptist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Shiloh Cemetery (approx. 5.2 miles away); Shiloh Baptist Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); Wyatt Chapel Community Cemetery (approx. 5.7 miles away); Springer-Macedonia Cemetery (approx. 6½ miles away); Macedonia Methodist Church (approx. 6.9 miles away); Jacob E. Freeman (approx. 7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Fields Store, TX.
It existed as early as 1872 and received its name from Andrew Field and his son Druey Holland Field, the first of several Field family members to operate a general store in the area.  Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on March 25, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Field's Store Community Marker from across the road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 20, 2021
3. The view of the Field's Store Community Marker from across the road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 327 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=169390

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Feb. 4, 2023