The Oslo Community
In 1908 Anders L. Mordt, a native of Norway, secured form R. M. Thomson and R. T. Anderson the sales rights to 100 sections of Hansford County land he named Oslo. The first settlers were recruited from existing Norwegian colonies in the midwestern United States.
To promote the development, Mordt advertised his inexpensive Texas land in major Norwegian language publications across the nation. He also published a weekly newspaper, The "Oslo Posten", and organized an annual Norwegian Independence Day celebration, "Syttende Mai" (May 17), which attracted crowds from surrounding towns in Oklahoma and Texas.
Community worship services were first conducted at the Oslo schoolhouse in 1909 by the Rev. Christian Heltne. Officially organized the following year, the Olso Lutheran Church became the center of the farming settlement.
Mordt's land sales ended in 1913 as a result of a severe drought. When the Denver and Gulf Railroad decided to bypass the area, the townsite of Oslo (2.5 miles south) declined. Although many settlers moved away, more than thirty families remained.
Today the Olso Lutheran Church serves as a remainder of the area's
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3857.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
Location. 36° 25.858′ N, 101° 31.874′ W. Marker is near Gruver, Texas, in Hansford County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road F (Farm to Market Road 2349) and County Highway 6, on the right when traveling west on County Road F. From Gruver take TX-15 6 miles to Farm to Market 1622 and turn north. Travel 11 miles and turn west on FM 2349. Drive for just under 1 mile and the Marker is at the Oslo Lutheran Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8605 County Road F, Gruver TX 79040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gruver Cemetery (approx. 14.2 miles away); Old Farwell (approx. 15.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.