Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Maynard E. Sensenbrenner
Maynard E. Sensenbrenner served four terms as mayor of the City of Columbus, 1954-1959 and 1964-1971, longer than any other mayor. During this time he was responsible for the farsighted annexation policy that allowed Columbus to grow from 41 square miles to 140 square miles. In 1959 he was instrumental in Columbus receiving the All American City Award.
The Mayor and his lovely wife Mildred were long time Hilltop residents where they successfully reared their two sons Richard and Edward. As a “Hilltopper”, the Mayor was deeply involved in the community, including serving as deacon and elder, and teaching the largest adult Sunday school class in Ohio, at Hoge Memorial Presbyterian Church.
Mayor Sensenbrenner was a lifelong member of the Hilltop Business Association. He served as president of the Hilltop Kiwanis and West High School Booster Club. He was associated with Camp Fire Girls, Volunteers of America, Big Brothers, Elks, Eagles, YMCA, Goodwill Industries, Fraternal Order of Police and Moose. And most notably, he gave 50 years of service to the Boy Scouts of
Project of the Hilltop ’92 Celebration Commission and Sensenbrenner Landmark Committee. M.D. Portman, Honorary Chairman, Roland G. Sunker Chairman
Erected 1992 by Citizens of Columbus and the Greater Hilltop Community Development Corporation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1839.
Location. 39° 57.35′ N, 83° 3.088′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on Broad Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is about one quarter mile west of the I-70 Broad Street exit, on the grounds of Glenwood Park and Recreation Center. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The National Road (approx. half a mile away); Maurice Gates (approx. 1.2 miles away); Franklin County Civil War Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Ovid Wellford Smith (approx. 1.3 miles away); Council Site Between William Henry Harrison and Indians (approx. 1.4 miles away); Camp Chase (approx. 1.4 miles away); Our Unknown Dead (approx. 1˝ miles away); a different marker also named Camp Chase (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,193 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 12, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.