Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grand Rapids in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, June 17, 2018
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  On this site in 1848, the Presbyterians and Methodists entered into a situation unique to Gilead, as Grand Rapids was then known, by jointly constructing a frame church for worship James Purdy, grantor, sold the lot for five dollars for religious purposes thereby authorizing either denomination to sell to the other. Proceeds were to be used to build another church. This ecumenical arrangement continued until 1880 when the Methodists sold their Interest in the building to the Presbyterians in order to build a new church. The Presbyterians, whore charter included eleven members when they first organized at Guyer's schoolhouse on September 18, 1848, built a new church here in 1928. One addition to the current building was made in 1961.
 
Erected 1996 by The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 9-87.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 18, 1648.
 
Location. 41° 24.663′ N, 83° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
52.093′ W. Marker is in Grand Rapids, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of West 2nd Street (County Road 65) and Beaver Street, on the right when traveling east on West 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24241 W 2nd St, Grand Rapids OH 43522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Benjamin F. Kerr House (within shouting distance of this marker); Thurston Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grand Rapids Town Hall (about 600 feet away); Grand Rapids Flood Records (about 700 feet away); A Lasting Legacy (about 700 feet away); M. J. Wright Pavillion (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Memory Of Julie Pontasch (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sugar Maple (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Rapids.
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, June 17, 2018
2. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Dedication plaque on the grounds of the church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, June 17, 2018
3. Dedication plaque on the grounds of the church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 104 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 28, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=169636

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024