Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lake Orion in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Decker Settlement / Jesse Decker

 
 
Decker Settlement Marker, Side A image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, October 9, 2020
1. Decker Settlement Marker, Side A
Inscription.  
Decker Settlement
The remnants of a millpond dam and the pioneer graves in nearby Bigler Cemetery are the only evidence of the settlement that once occupied this site. Samuel Munson built a sawmill and a log cabin here in the spring of 1825. Jesse Decker, who gave his name to the settlement, arrived later that year with more settlers and established the first Euro-American community in Orion Township. By 1837, Decker had grown into a bustling commercial center with a sawmill, tavern, post office, general store, blacksmith shop, school and cemetery. After the post office moved to Lake Orion in 1837 and the railroad later passed the community by, Decker eventually died out. The state park opened in 1946, and park management lived in the last surviving building until it was demolished in 1982.

Jesse Decker
Jesse Decker came to Michigan from upstate New York with his wife, Mary, in 1825. They homesteaded in the place that soon became known as the Decker Settlement. In 1830, Jesse Decker raised the first frame barn in the area with the help of local Indians. Five years later a group
Jesse Decker Marker, Side B image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, October 9, 2020
2. Jesse Decker Marker, Side B
Click or scan to see
this page online
of settlers gathered in Decker’s home and formed a township, naming it “Orion” at their host’s suggestion. The group elected Decker as the township’s first supervisor. He served in that capacity almost continuously until 1854. Politically active throughout his life, Decker was elected to the Michigan House of Representatives in 1837 and also served as postmaster and justice of the peace. By 1840 he operated one of the first taverns in Orion Township and owned 440 acres of land.
 
Erected 2001 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L2064.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1825.
 
Location. 42° 44.615′ N, 83° 13.014′ W. Marker is near Lake Orion, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is on East Greenshield Road, 0.1 miles west of Kern Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake Orion MI 48360, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carpenter-Rudd Mill (approx. 1.6 miles away); Paint Creek Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Paint Creek Millrace (approx. 2.8
Decker Settlement / Jesse Decker Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, October 9, 2020
3. Decker Settlement / Jesse Decker Marker
There is nothing from this early settlement visible today, as seen in this image looking southwest from along E. Greenshield Road.
miles away); Water Wheel (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Paint Creek Cider Mill (approx. 2.9 miles away); a different marker also named Paint Creek Cider Mill (approx. 2.9 miles away); Lake Orion Methodist Church (approx. 3 miles away); Predmore House (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake Orion.
 
Decker Settlement / Jesse Decker Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, October 9, 2020
4. Decker Settlement / Jesse Decker Marker
A view looking northeast with E. Greenshield Road in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2021, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 28, 2021, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=169671

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 3, 2022