Hollywood in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Hollywood American Legion Post 43
Built 1929, Egyptian Revival style, Westin & Westin, architects. Historic-Cultural Monument No. 462, declared November 3, 1989, City of Los Angeles, Cultural Heritage Commission, Cultural Affairs Department.
American Legion Hollywood Post No. 43, built 1929, Weston and Weston, architect. Scofield Twaits Company, contractor. 2010 landmark award #101, Windsor Square-Hancock Park Historical Society.
Erected 1989 by City of Los Angeles. (Marker Number 462.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. In addition, it is included in the City of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
Location. 34° 6.466′ N, 118° 20.263′ W. Marker is in Hollywood, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is on Highland Avenue 0.3 miles south of U.S. 101. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2035 N Highland Ave, Los Angeles CA 90068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hollywood’s First Major Film Company Studio (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); B.A.G. Fuller Residence (approx. 0.2 miles away); Villa Bonita (approx. ¼ mile away); United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); The Honorable Edmund D. Edelman (approx. ¼ mile away); Cahuenga Pass Treasure (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Magic Castle (approx. 0.3 miles away); Los Angeles Dodgers (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hollywood.
Regarding Hollywood American Legion Post 43. The American Legion was formed in 1919 by World War I veterans looking for an opportunity to gather together for camaraderie. Hollywood formed its own post in 1919, originally located in a rented facility on Hollywood Blvd. The group built a boxing arena to raise funds for constructing their own headquarters, when boxing ranked among Americans’ favorite spectator sports.
The American Legion clubhouse building, which somewhat resembles the Los Angeles Central Library, was dedicated on July 4, 1929. In 1930, the tile work won an American Institute of Architects award. Members have included Ronald Reagan, Gene Autry, and Clark Gable, and the building starred in the 1938 feature film “Squadron of Honor.”
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 3, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 3, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.