Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
North Chesterfield in Chesterfield County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Bethlehem Baptist Church

 
 
Bethlehem Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, April 3, 2021
1. Bethlehem Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  Bethlehem Baptist Church, first known as Cox's Meeting House and then Spring Creek Church, was formally organized several miles northwest of here in 1790. Founding pastor Benjamin Watkins served for 41 years. African Americans constituted a significant portion of the congregation before departing to establish separate churches in the 1840s and shortly after the Civil War. From 1880 to 1886, Bethlehem member Nannie Bland David served as a missionary to Nigeria. Her dying words, "Never give up Africa," inspired later missionaries. After relocating once in the 19th century, Bethlehem Baptist moved here in 1897 when its new sanctuary was completed.
 
Erected 2016 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number O-27.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionWomen. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1790.
 
Location. 37° 30.143′ N, 77° 34.453′ W. Marker is in North
Bethlehem Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, April 3, 2021
2. Bethlehem Baptist Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Chesterfield, Virginia, in Chesterfield County. Marker is on Midlothian Turnpike (U.S. 60) 0.2 miles west of Tuxford Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9700 Midlothian Turnpike, Richmond VA 23235, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Railroad in Virginia (approx. 0.9 miles away); Providence United Methodist Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Black Heath (approx. 2.2 miles away); Huguenot Settlement (approx. 2.3 miles away); Trabue's Tavern (approx. 2.7 miles away); Mid-Lothian Mines and Rail Roads (approx. 3.8 miles away); a different marker also named Mid-Lothian Mines and Rail Roads (approx. 3.9 miles away); a different marker also named Mid-Lothian Mines and Rail Roads (approx. 3.9 miles away).
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 3, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 3, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170046

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 3, 2022