Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Seguin in Guadalupe County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Former Site of Dowdy School

 
 
Former Site of Dowdy School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 28, 2021
1. Former Site of Dowdy School Marker
Inscription.  

After the Wolters and Nixon School Districts merged in 1916, school trustees acquired 2 acres here from William Dowdy and erected the Wolters-Nixon school building. A gymnasium and class rooms were added in the early 1930s after an oil boom boosted the local economy. In 1932 the school was renamed Dowdy and offered high school classes for the first time. Despite a steady decline in student enrollment after 1938, the high school continued and students excelled in various team sports. Dowdy School was annexed to the Seguin School System in 1951.
 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1950.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1916.
 
Location. 29° 34.359′ N, 97° 46.683′ W. Marker is near Seguin, Texas, in Guadalupe County. Marker is on Dowdy Road (County Highway 212) 0.7 miles Farm to Market Road 1150, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2861 Dowdy Road, Kingsbury TX 78638, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the crow flies. Edmund P. Kuempel Rest Area (approx. 3˝ miles away); Wilson Potteries (approx. 3.8 miles away); El Capote Ranch (approx. 5.2 miles away); Old Nixon Cemetery (approx. 6.4 miles away); William B. Fleming (approx. 6˝ miles away); Battleground Prairie (approx. 6.6 miles away); Tiemann School (approx. 8.1 miles away); Elijah Valentine Dale (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seguin.
 
Former Site of Dowdy School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 28, 2021
2. Former Site of Dowdy School Marker
The view of the Former Site of Dowdy School and Marker from the road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 28, 2021
3. The view of the Former Site of Dowdy School and Marker from the road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 3, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170058

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024