Acworth in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hood & Hardee Withdraw E. to R.R.
New Hope & Gilgal Church Road.
These corps withdrew, along with rest of Johnston’s forces [CS], when the Federal 23d A. C. seized the Dallas - Acworth rd. near old Allatoona Ch., 2.5 mi. N. E. June 3.
Hood & Hardee retreated E. along this road June 4, to positions between Lost Mountain & the State R. R.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-33.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
Location. 33° 58.756′ N, 84° 44.081′ W. Marker is in Acworth, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Due West Road NW and County Line Road NW, on the right when traveling west on Due West Road NW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dallas – Acworth Road (within shouting distance Battle of Pickett's Mill (approx. ¾ mile away); James Foster House (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Pickett’s Mill (approx. 1.9 miles away); Site of Old Allatoona Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Cross Roads Church (approx. 2½ miles away); Davis' Cross Roads (approx. 2.6 miles away); Brown's Mill (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Acworth.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 14, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 915 times since then and 14 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 14, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?