College Station in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A & M College Consolidated Rural School
The State of Texas granted a charter for an independent school district to encompass the Texas A&M College campus in 1909. Because there was not a sufficient number of students in the district to support a school, A&M president William Bizzell and professor Martin Hayes, head of the department of vocational teaching, persuaded the leaders of three surrounding common school districts to send their students to a new school to be located on the college campus.
The new school opened in 1920 with 304 students. It was supported by A&M college with funding for buildings, teacher salaries, furniture, and equipment. It became a model for rural schools in the area, and by 1928 the surrounding school districts officially dissolved and merged with A&M College Consolidated Independent School District.
By 1938 the school facilities had become overcrowded. Because the college was not able to increase its contributions to the institution, the school moved off of the A&M campus in 1940. With the move came the genesis of the College Station Independent School District.
Erected 1990 by Texas
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
Location. 30° 35.486′ N, 96° 19.161′ W. Marker is in College Station, Texas, in Brazos County. Marker is on Welsh Avenue, 0.2 miles north of Harvey Mitchell Parkway South (Farm to Market Road 2818). The marker is located in front of Tiger Stadium by the parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2118 Welsh Avenue, College Station TX 77840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. African American Education in College Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Luke Patranella Memorial Center (approx. 1.2 miles away); Shiloh Community (approx. 1.2 miles away); Early Texas A&M Campus Housing (approx. 1.8 miles away); J.V. "Pinky" Wilson (approx. 1.8 miles away); Texas A&M Corps of Cadets (approx. 1.8 miles away); Early Play-By-Play Radio Broadcast of a College Football Game (approx. 1.8 miles away); Main Drill Field, Texas A&M University (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Station.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.