North Baltimore Elementary & High School Building
The North Baltimore Elementary and High School stood at 124 S. Second St. and was dedicated November 11, 1927. The tan and brown brick building replaced a school (built 1884) that a fire destroyed on January 26, 1926. The new school building, for children in grades 1-12, also included classrooms for home economics and business Courses, as well as a 900-seat auditorium (including balcony), second floor cafeteria, gymnasium, administrative offices, and a public library. .E. Leidy was the school's superintendent and R. Vern Northup was the high school principal. The members of the board of education were Dr. E.A. Powell, President, D.B. Bushey, Vice President, C.G. Nigh. Clerk, and Nellie Roberts and R.E. Simon. Previously known as the "Independents," the school's sports teams became the "Tigers” in 1931.
In 1952, Ms. Clara Miller became the 1927 building's first elementary
principal and the district added a Kindergarten. Eventually, all students
in grades K-6 moved ta the E.A. Powell Elementary School building
after it was built in 1958. In 1964, the district enlarged the gym and
added industrial arts and music rooms. In 1974, the administrative
offices moved to I10 S. Second St. Renovations to the auditorium in 1981
included a new concrete floor, new seating, and an enlarged stage.
In 1987, the school cafeteria was moved 'to the ground floor. On May 27,
the Class of 2012 was the last to be graduated from the 1927 building.
The last event in the auditorium was the musical "Oklahoma.” June 8-10,
Z012, part of year-long "Bringing Down the House” commemoration.
The building was razed later that year.
Erected 2018
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 26, 1926.
Location. 41° 10.859′ N, 83° 40.794′ W. Marker is in North Baltimore, Ohio, in Wood County. It is at the intersection of West State Street (Ohio Route 18) and South 2nd Street, on the right when traveling east on West State Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 W State St, North Baltimore OH 45872, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Ohio’s Black Swamp, in the Till Plains, and in the Toledo Metropolitan Area. It is also in the American Midwest, on the Great Lakes, and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, and the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At
Credits. This page was last revised on April 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 5, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 668 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 5, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.



