Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
William Alfred Sanderson
(Sept. 11, 1819 - May 28, 1904)
A native of England, William Sanderson came to Texas in 1841. He obtained a Republic of Texas land grant and in 1847 settled in Tarrant County with his wife, Isabella Francis (Ayres). Sanderson soon established himself as a farmer and stock raiser. A charter member of the First Christian Church of Fort Worth, he also was appointed Justice of the Peace and was involved in the relocation of the county seat from Birdville to Fort Worth.
Recorded - 1984
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5819.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
Location. 32° 44.874′ N, 97° 17.478′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is on Scott Avenue west of Hudson Street, on the right when traveling west. The grave is in Ayres Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Worth TX 76103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ayres Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Meadowbrook Methodist ChurchMt. Zion Baptist Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Car 25 (approx. 2.1 miles away); African-American History (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hell's Half Acre (approx. 2.1 miles away); Grand United Order of Odd Fellows, Lodge No. 2144 (approx. 2.2 miles away); Mt. Gilead Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 5, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 19, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.