Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Granite Falls in Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Former Site of the Granite Falls City Hall

 
 
Former Site of the Granite Falls City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Connor Olson, April 5, 2021
1. Former Site of the Granite Falls City Hall Marker
Inscription.  The Granite Falls City hall was built in 1892 on this site as a single story brick building that housed the city’s office as well as a steam-driven electricity generator. Following construction of the city’s first hydro- electric facility, the building was remodeled, in 1904, for additional city office space and a second story was added for public meetings. At that time, the fire department’s equipment was relocated into the building’s basement from another site. In 1942, the city, using local and WPA funds and labor, constructed a 74-foot addition on the south end of the building. The original part of the building was extensively remodeled and covered with new brick to match the new addition. The fire and police departments were moved to the main floor and a large auditorium and meeting room were provided on the second floor of the new addition. The fire department remained here until 1965 and the police department until 2002. In 1984, a new city council meeting room was constructed on the main floor where the fire trucks had once been housed. In 2009, after repeated flooding, the building was replaced with a new city hall at
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
641 Prentice Street. The old city hall building was razed and this site was restored to a riverfront landscape in accordance with the city’s flood mitigation program.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
 
Location. 44° 48.561′ N, 95° 32.333′ W. Marker is in Granite Falls, Minnesota, in Yellow Medicine County. Marker is at the intersection of Prentice Street and 9th Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Prentice Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Granite Falls MN 56241, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Votes for Women (within shouting distance of this marker); Andrew J. Volstead House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Andrew J. Volstead House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry Hill 1829-1879 (approx. half a mile away); World's Oldest Rock (approx. half a mile away); Ancient Exposed Rocks (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Witness to Time (approx. 1.8 miles away); Yellow Medicine City (approx. 6½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Granite Falls.
 
Former Site of the Granite Falls City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Connor Olson, April 5, 2021
2. Former Site of the Granite Falls City Hall Marker
Former Site of the Granite Falls City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Connor Olson, April 5, 2021
3. Former Site of the Granite Falls City Hall Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 5, 2021, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 5, 2021, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170251

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024