Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bryan in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. Joseph Catholic Church

 
 
St. Joseph Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, April 3, 2021
1. St. Joseph Catholic Church Marker
Inscription.  

Although Catholic worship services were celebrated in Bryan by 1869, this church traces its history to the early 1870s. The first church building was erected about 1871 for a small active parish. The Reverend John Moore is considered to be the first full-time pastor of St. Joseph Church of Bryan.

Fire destroyed the church structure in 1876. The congregation held worship services in temporary quarters in a local store building until a new location was established. In 1883 the Masonic schoolhouse was purchased for $500 and converted into a church at a cost of about $1,200. In 1904 a new frame edifice replaced the converted schoolhouse. Another structure was built at East 26th and Preston Streets as the congregation grew. A new church building was dedicated here in 1960.

Programs have been provided for church members and the community for decades, including traditional spiritual activites and social outreach support. St. Joseph Church has grown from a frontier mission with a few members to a large urban parish with more than 1600 family members. The church continues to have a strong presence in Bryan as it has for more
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
than a century.
 
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8694.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
 
Location. 30° 40.407′ N, 96° 22.062′ W. Marker is in Bryan, Texas, in Brazos County. Marker is at the intersection of North Preston Avenue and East 26th Street on North Preston Avenue. The marker is located on the left side of the front door to the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 507 East 26th Street, Bryan TX 77803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Joseph School (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Odd Fellows University and Orphans Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Town Named for William Joel Bryan (approx. 0.2 miles away); Courthouse Cedar (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brazos County Confederate Commissioners Court (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harvey Mitchell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brazos County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Allen Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bryan.
 
The front entrance to the St. Joseph Catholic Church with the Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, April 3, 2021
2. The front entrance to the St. Joseph Catholic Church with the Marker
The view of the St. Joseph Catholic Church from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, April 3, 2021
3. The view of the St. Joseph Catholic Church from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 183 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170269

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024