Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ida in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Ida Village / Ida Township

 
 
Ida Village Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, April 6, 2021
1. Ida Village Marker
Inscription.  
Ida Village
A day's ride from the River Raisin stood the Ida Inn. Settlers built log cabins around the inn and farms appeared along the old corduroy roads. The Inn, later to become the train station and post office, was purchased, along with its surrounding lands, by Henry Rauch. By 1860, the area was no longer wilderness frontier, but a thriving town with a steady stream of newcomers coming by rail to work in the quarry, or shops, and to farm. By 1868. the village was platted in the northwest corner of the township. securely nestled amidst lush green farms.

Ida Township
Named for Ida M. Taylor in 1837, the township became important to the Western migration. Small farms were scattered along rough corduroy roads built upon ancient Indian trails. A day's journey by horse - drawn coach was eight miles of road pitted by large sinkholes. Farmers could earn extra money pulling the coaches from holes which they often maintained well into dry weather. In 1837, the state provided land and money for a railroad system to promote immigration. By 1841, the horse-drawn Lake Erie and River Raisin line
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
was incorporated into the Michigan Southern with rails from LaPlaisance Bay to Adrian. This became an east-west arm of the Erie Canal route.
 
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
 
Location. 41° 54.566′ N, 83° 34.403′ W. Marker is in Ida, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of Lewis Avenue and Van Akins Street, on the right when traveling north on Lewis Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2917 Lewis Ave, Ida MI 48140, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Railroad Well (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bridge School (approx. 3.8 miles away); a different marker also named Bridge School (approx. 3.8 miles away); Meyer Rosen Foundation Holiday Camp (approx. 4.1 miles away); Peter Seitz Tavern & Stagecoach Inn (approx. 4.2 miles away); West County Park (approx. 4.8 miles away); First People of Monroe County (approx. 4.8 miles away); The River Raisin (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ida.
 
Ida Township Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, April 6, 2021
2. Ida Township Marker
Ida Village / Ida Township Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, April 6, 2021
3. Ida Village / Ida Township Marker
Marker seen with First Merchants Bank and Ida Farmers Co-Op behind
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 398 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170288

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024