Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pocahontas in Randolph County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Randolph County Court House

 
 
Randolph County Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, April 3, 2021
1. Randolph County Court House Marker
Marker was originally silver in color.
Inscription.  The first court house in Randolph county, created in 1835, was erected in 1886, on the site of the town of Pocahontas, which was then known as Bettis' Bluff.
 
Erected 1936 by Arkansas Centennial Commission, 1836-1936, Arkansas Historical Commission. (Marker Number H-11.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Arkansas Centennial Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
 
Location. 36° 15.69′ N, 90° 58.214′ W. Marker is in Pocahontas, Arkansas, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of North Marr Street and East Everett Street, on the left when traveling south on North Marr Street. Located on the grounds of the old Randolph County Courthouse, now the Randolph County Chamber of Commerce. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pocahontas AR 72455, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Randolph County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Spinnenweber and Peters Equine Store and Merchantile (within shouting distance of this marker);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Lewis deMun (within shouting distance of this marker); Sanitary Barber Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir Henry Morton Stanley (within shouting distance of this marker); Capture of Missouri "Swamp Fox" (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the St. Charles Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); American Civil War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pocahontas.
 
More about this marker. One of 143 cast-iron markers placed across Arkansas in partnership with the Arkansas History Commission during the state's 1936 centennial. Originally silver in color, this one has been painted black and yellow.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia article on the old Randolph County Courthouse. (Submitted on April 6, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Marker on grounds of the Randolph County Chamber of Commerce. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, April 3, 2021
2. Marker on grounds of the Randolph County Chamber of Commerce.
The historic old Randolph County Courthouse. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, April 3, 2021
3. The historic old Randolph County Courthouse.
Marker is barely visible in the far left corner of the photo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 6, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170293

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024