Pomona in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Wealthy landowner, businessman, and Los Angeles county leader Louis Phillips purchased the Rancho San Jose in 1866. The land was originally owned by the Vejar family and encompassed much of what is now known as the Pomona Valley. Louis and his wife Esther built the Second Empire style mansion in 1875 at a cost of $20,000. Originally it contained eight rooms, six fireplaces, extensive woodwork, and gas lights. It was the first fired brick home east of the city of Los Angeles and the first local home converted to electricity.
Phillips died at the mansion in 1900 and his widow lived there until 1916. It remained in the Phillips family until 1931. It was converted to apartments during World War II and later used for student housing. It became vacant in the early 1960s. The historical society of Pomona Valley purchased it in 1966.
The society restored the home and opened it to the public from 1974 to 1990 when it was condemned due to earthquake damage.
Erected 2016 by Native Sons of the Golden West Ramona Parlor #109.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1866.
Location. 34° 3.389′ N, 117° 47.794′ W. Marker is in Pomona, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is at the intersection of Pomona Boulevard and Pioneer Place, on the left when traveling west on Pomona Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2640 Pomona Blvd, Pomona CA 91768, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Home of Pomona College (approx. 2.2 miles away); Pomona Assembly Center (approx. 2.4 miles away); Casa Alvarado (approx. 2.6 miles away); La Casa Primera (approx. 2.7 miles away); La Casa Primera Dedication (approx. 2.7 miles away); La Casa de Carrion (approx. 2.8 miles away); Southern Pacific Railroad (approx. 3.2 miles away); San Dimas Grammar School (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pomona.
Regarding Phillips Mansion. In 1974 the Phillips Mansion was added to the National Register of Historic Places. In 1990 the mansion was temporarily closed due to earthquake damage. Today, the building is being retrofitted and restored to its 19th century design, and the exterior is now much as it was in 1875.
See their website for tour information.
Also see . . . Phillips Mansion tours. (Submitted on April 8, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 8, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.