The Harrison House
Thomas Jefferson was president when the original two-story Federal-style brick building was built in 1807. The house is located on the east half of in-lot 123, a part of Franklinton since its beginning. Surveyed by Nathanial Massie on October 28, 1796, the lot was part of Virginia Military District entry #1393, comprising 1,000 acres on the west fork of the Scioto River. Captain Robert Vance, a veteran of Virginia Continental Line during the Revolution, claimed the land. Lucas Sullivant, the founder of Franklinton, acquired it from Vance. The acreage was a part of the 1797 plat of Franklinton, recorded by Sullivant in 1802 at the Ross County Courthouse in Chillicothe. Franklinton became Franklin County's first seat in 1803 and preceded the founding of Columbus by 15 years. In its early years, Franklinton's nearest neighbors were the Wyandotte, Delaware, and Seneca-Cayuga people.
Colonel Robert Culbertson, a wealthy landowner and veteran of the Pennsylvania Line, acquired in-lot 123 in 1804. Culbertson and wife Elizabeth owned the house when Franklinton boomed as headquarters of the Army of the Northwest under General William Henry
Erected 2019 by Franklinton Historical Society; The Franklinton Board of Trade; The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 125-25.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1807.
Location. 39° 57.63′ N, 83° 0.949′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of West Broad Street (U.S. 40) and North Gift Street, on the right when traveling west on West Broad Street. The marker is at the Encampment of General William Henry Harrison, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 570 West Broad Street, Columbus OH 43223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Franklinton (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Franklinton (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Franklinton (a few steps from this marker); Lucas Sullivant Home Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station / Macklin Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Franklinton Cemetery Archaeology (approx. 0.4 miles away); “In This Churchyard…” (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Franklinton Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Additional keywords. Old National Road
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 8, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.