Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Anthony Church

 
 
St. Anthony Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 7, 2021
1. St. Anthony Church Marker
Inscription.  During the early 1850s, the growing number of Catholic families of German and Alsatian descent on Detroit's east side necessitated the establishment of a new Catholic parish. The new congregation was originally founded as a mission church of St. Joseph parish. Named St. Anthony mission, it completed its first frame church at a cost of $6,000 on July 5, 1857. The church was located at the corner of Gratiot and Centerline Road, now Field Avenue. Father Leopold Pawlowski was appointed its first pastor. By the turn of the century, the congregation needed a larger church. On July 18, 1901, Bishop John Samuel Foley laid the cornerstone for the present red brick and terracotta Romanesque church. The handsome structure, designed by Donaldson and Meier, features frescoed ceilings and an impressive white stone Romanesque altar.
 
Erected 1986 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1247.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & Religion
Side view of St. Anthony Church and marker from Sheridan St. image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 7, 2021
2. Side view of St. Anthony Church and marker from Sheridan St.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 18, 1901.
 
Location. 42° 22.556′ N, 83° 1.08′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Sheridan Street and Farnsworth Street, on the left when traveling north on Sheridan Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5427 Sheridan Street, Detroit MI 48213, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eastern Liggett School / Detroit Waldorf School (approx. 1.3 miles away); Indian Village (approx. 1.4 miles away); St. Albertus Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Ossian Sweet House / Dr. Ossian Sweet (approx. 1.8 miles away); Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church (approx. 2 miles away); The Dodge Brothers / Dodge Main (approx. 2 miles away); Colonel John Francis Hamtramck (approx. 2 miles away); Hamtramck Stadium (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 8, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170446

Paid Advertisement
May. 17, 2021