Freeport in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Schuster home was built in 1917 on land purchased by George Schuster in 1915. This land was part of the Freeport town site. The home was built primarily by George Schuster’s sons, Manuel, Henry, and Joe, all experienced carpenters.
The two-story home was built on heavy cedar tree blocks with large tapered columns and supported by a wraparound pine floor porch. Two enclosed chimneys along the ridge of the two-story home provided heat in the early years prior to the city’s available use of natural gas. The walls are covered with milled cypress wood, making the home one of Freeport’s first and most well-constructed wooden structures.
After George and his wife’s death, Joe and his wife, Valentine, who lived in a small house in the backyard, purchased the family home from the Schuster estate in 1951. Valentine continued to live in the home after Joe’s death until 1981. Her children continued to maintain the house in its original state after her death. Much of the original furniture is still used today, some of which is over 100 years old.
Schuster descendants established the Schuster house corporation in 2003.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2014
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17999.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1917.
Location. 28° 57.27′ N, 95° 21.657′ W. Marker is in Freeport, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of West 2nd Street and Locust Street, on the right when traveling west on West 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1130 W 2nd Street, Freeport TX 77541, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Schuster House (a few steps from this marker); Velasco Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Town of Old Velasco (approx. 0.7 miles away); Colonel Robert M. Coleman (approx. 0.9 miles away); Freeport Veterans Memorial Park (approx. Freeport National Bank (approx. 0.9 miles away); In Memory of those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice - World War I - World War II - Korean Conflict (approx. one mile away); Four Miles Southeast to the Original Town of Velasco (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Freeport.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 218 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 8, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.