Wild Haws in the Civil War
Wild Haws, now LaCrosse, was located at a crossroads at the largest cotton plantations in Izard County. In 1861, volunteers of the 7th and 14th (McCarver’s) Arkansas Infantry regiments marched through Wild Haws on their way to the Confederate training camp at Smithville. Troopers of Gen. James McBride’s 3rd Missouri Cavalry (C.S.) had a skirmish with Union cavalry here in 1862. Confederates rendezvoused near Wild Haws in 1864, and Col. T.R. Freeman’s Cavalry rode through here. Gen. Joseph O. Shelby recruited troops in this area that summer.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 3, 1862.
Location. 36° 5.439′ N, 91° 50.439′ W. Marker is in Lacrosse, Arkansas, in Izard County. Marker is at the intersection of Lacrosse Road and County Road 57, on the left when traveling north on Lacrosse Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Violet Hill AR 72584, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Lacrosse Collegiate Institute (here, next to this marker); Izard County First Court House (approx. 4.2 miles away); Old Baptist Church (approx. 9 miles away).
Also see . . . Encyclopedia of Arkansas on the Wild Haws Expedition. (Submitted on April 8, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 251 times since then and 128 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 8, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.