Freeport in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
1130 West 2nd Street
— Freeport, Texas —
Freeport, Texas, was founded November, 1912, by the Freeport Sulphur Company. Among the families who gravitated to Freeport from the old city of Velasco was George Schuster, his wife Maria Theresa Beer and their twelve children. Land for the home was purchased on November 27, 1915, from the Freeport Townsite Company. The home is a two-story building, constructed in 1917, primarily by Manuel Schuster with help from his brothers Henry and Joe. Downstairs consists of a living room, dining room, and two bedrooms joined by a hall, kitchen, pantry area and back porch. When city water became available a small indoor bathroom was constructed in a closet under the stairway between the two downstairs bedrooms. The second floor consist of a sitting parlor connecting three bedrooms with vaulted ceilings. Because of its location and sustained strength the home was used as a place of refuge during hurricanes that threatened the area. In the Spring of 2003, the Board of Directors of the Brazos Historical Society became interested in the home since there were no descendants of the Schuster family interested in the home. Shortly thereafter the Schuster
Recorded Freeport Historic Landmark - 2013
Erected 2013 by City of Freeport, Texas.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1917.
Location. 28° 57.274′ N, 95° 21.66′ W. Marker is in Freeport, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of West 2nd Street and Locust Street, on the right when traveling west on West 2nd Street. The marker is located on the outside front wall of the house, just to the right of the front door. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1130 W 2nd Street, Freeport TX 77541, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Schuster Home (a few steps from this marker); Velasco Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Town of Old Velasco (approx. 0.7 miles away); Colonel Robert M. Coleman (approx. Freeport Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 0.9 miles away); Freeport National Bank (approx. 0.9 miles away); In Memory of those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice - World War I - World War II - Korean Conflict (approx. one mile away); Four Miles Southeast to the Original Town of Velasco (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Freeport.
More about this marker. This marker was placed by the City of Freeport in 2013. Another marker was placed in the front yard of the house in 2014 by the Texas Historical Commission, which is listed separately in this database.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 8, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.