Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waxahachie in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Dunlap-Simpson House

 
 
Dunlap-Simpson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jesse Nelsen, April 8, 2021
1. Dunlap-Simpson House Marker
The Texas Historical Commission marker is accompanied by other city and county heritage markers.
Inscription.  

A fine example of Queen Anne Revival architecture, this house has among its many rooms two hexagons, two octagons. It was built in 1890-91 by Judge Oscar E. Dunlap (1849-1925), a banker, political leader, chairman of Texas Council of Defense in World War I, Good Roads advocate, industrialist, humanitarian, founder of the Sims Library, Waxahachie. Later owners have included Mr. and Mrs. E.B. Prince, Mrs. Sadie R. Hardesty, and Mr. and Mrs. Max H. Simpson.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1974
 
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7073.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1974.
 
Location. 32° 23.73′ N, 96° 51.654′ W. Marker is in Waxahachie, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and Oscar Street, on the right when traveling south on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waxahachie TX 75165, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Getzendaner Memorial Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Waxahachie Chautauqua Building
Dunlap-Simpson House and Markers image. Click for full size.
By Jesse Nelsen, April 8, 2021
2. Dunlap-Simpson House and Markers
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Waxahachie City Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Paul Richards Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); N. P. Sims Library and Lyceum (approx. 0.7 miles away); Henry Curry (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Presbyterian Church Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); Homesite of Dr. D.G. Thompson (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waxahachie.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170519

Paid Advertisement
May. 11, 2021