Near Princeton in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Verona Methodist Church
A group of families met in 1887 to establish the Verona Methodist Episcopal Church, south. The first pastor was L. L. Naugh. W. E. and Elizabeth St. Clair donated land in 1888 and a church building was erected. In 1911 a tornado destroyed the structure, and the congregation built a new sanctuary which continued as a community gathering place. Dedicated members rescued the church from closing in 1959, replaced the sanctuary and have continued to improve the facility. Loyal members support the church which continues to serve the area as it has for 110 years.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15216.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 33° 15.101′ N, 96° 26.108′ W. Marker is near Princeton, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on Road 1377 north of Road 571, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blue Ridge TX 75424, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pleasant Grove Cemetery (approx. 2.7 Van Winkle Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); George Washington Smith (approx. 4.4 miles away); Stiff Chapel Cemetery (approx. 5.2 miles away); Grounds Cemetery (approx. 5.6 miles away); Bethlehem Baptist Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); Huson Cemetery (approx. 6.3 miles away); Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 6.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.