McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Saint Mark Baptist Church
The congregation was organized in 1879 by two preachers, the Rev. Dick White and a Rev. Jones, who conducted prayer meetings in area homes. The first church services were held on the farm of Isaac Graves, northeast of McKinney. Originally known as the Free Missionary Baptist Church, the name became Saint Mark in 1886. That same year the church purchased this property and built a brush arbor. A one-room frame building served as the first sanctuary. The present brick edifice was constructed in 1960 during the 1942-1974 pastorate of the Rev. B.T. Jones.
Incise on reverse: Church Families A. Beavers S. Bell Jr. R.GV. Cofield O.H. Ellis E. Jackson J. Jackson R. Jones E. Killion J. Mack B. Martin L. Newsome A.L. Pearson Geo. Pearson E.T. Robinson E. Smith L. Wattley W.J. Wattley Rev. Erie D. Fields, Pastor
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6197.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
Location. 33° 11.119′ N, 96° 36.783′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fanny Finch Elementary School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Collin McKinney (approx. half a mile away); Governor James Webb Throckmorton (approx. half a mile away); Pecan Grove Memorial Park (approx. half a mile away); Bradley Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dulaney House (approx. 0.6 miles away); John Faires House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Taylor House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.