McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John Martin House
John M. Martin (b. 1859), a member of an early Collin county family, was a local architect and builder who erected this house for himself about 1880. The structure exhibits elements of the Queen Anne style, including asymmetrical massing, wall surfaces of various materials, and an octagonal-roofed upper bay -- said to be a Martin trademark. Milled porch details were inspired by the popular Eastlake style. Martin sold the house in 1908 and moved from McKinney.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6176.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
Location. 33° 11.693′ N, 96° 37.306′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of Howell Street and South Parker Street, on the right when traveling east on Howell Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Davis House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Howell HouseThe Beverly-Harris House (about 500 feet away); William B. Largent House (about 700 feet away); L. A. Scott Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barnes-Largent House (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Waller Thomas House (approx. 0.2 miles away); E.A. Newsome House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.