McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Kentucky native Ben T. Estes (1841-1920) came to Texas in 1856. After serving in the Confederate Army during the Civil War, he returned to McKinney where he was engaged in the mercantile business. Estes had this home constructed for his family in 1897. It features late Victorian styling with Eastlake influences. Prominent elements include its wraparound porch with decorative woodwork, the hip roof, and the corbeled brick chimney.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1505.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
Location. 33° 12.278′ N, 96° 37.253′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of North College Street and West Heard Street, on the left when traveling north on North College Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Calvin Rhea House (within shouting distance of this marker); Davis House (about 400 feet away, Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); John S. and Rachel W. Heard House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fox-Caldwell House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dr. William Taylor Hoard House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waddill-Morris Homesite (approx. 0.3 miles away); First United Methodist Church of McKinney (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.