McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John S. and Rachel W. Heard House
Arkansas native and Confederate soldier John Spenser Heard (1841-1933) joined his family here in McKinney about 1865. He married Rachel Wilson in 1884. Business success allowed the Heards to benefit numerous local causes and to build this home in 1921. Designed by the Dallas firm Ye Planery in the classical revival style, the house features colossal Corinthian columns, giant entablature and a dentiled pediment. It remained in the Heard family until 1987.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6164.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1865.
Location. 33° 12.016′ N, 96° 37.261′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on North College Street north of West Logan Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fox-Caldwell House (a few steps from this marker); Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured Charles P. and Sallie G. Heard Home (about 300 feet away); J.D. Stiff Home (about 400 feet away); Aron-Harris House (about 400 feet away); Burton House (about 500 feet away); Dr. William Taylor Hoard House (approx. 0.2 miles away); E.A. Newsome House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.