Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Burton House

 
 
Burton House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jesse Nelsen, March 2, 2021
1. Burton House Marker
Inscription.  

Completed in 1910, this house was built for prominent business and civic leaders Newton A. Burton (d. 1955) and Laura (Wallace) Burton (d. 1964). Designed by J.E. Cooper (d. 1936), the one-story eclectic structure features elements of the Bungalow, Classical Revival, and American Foursquare styles. Prominent features include a wraparound porch with Doric columns, shingled hip dormers, exposed rafter ends, and stained glass Transoms.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991
 
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 578.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
 
Location. 33° 11.947′ N, 96° 37.196′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of West Hunt Street and North Valley Street, on the left when traveling west on West Hunt Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J.D. Stiff Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Aron-Harris House (within shouting distance
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker); Charles P. and Sallie G. Heard Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fox-Caldwell House (about 500 feet away); John S. and Rachel W. Heard House (about 500 feet away); E.A. Newsome House (about 500 feet away); Dr. William Taylor Hoard House (about 700 feet away); Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170544

Paid Advertisement
May. 17, 2021