Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Redford in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Redford Township District No. 5 School

 
 
Redford Township District No. 5 School Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 9, 2021
1. Redford Township District No. 5 School Marker
Inscription.  Three Redford Township District No. 5 Schools have stood on this property. A log structure served students from around 1842 until the 1870s when a wood-frame school was constructed. The present structure, built sometime between 1916 and 1921, was erected according to stock plans provided free by the state superintendent of public instruction, who noted: "The modern rural building is planned to observe both hygienic needs and the conveniences of schoolroom administration." Renamed Redford Union District No. 1 in 1923, and known popularly as the Beech Road School, this is a rare surviving example of a school that exhibits every detail of the state superintendent's design, including the belfry and the simple decorative brickwork.
 
Erected 1994 by Bureau of Michigan History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1991.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducationSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
 
Location.
Redford Township District No. 5 School Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 9, 2021
2. Redford Township District No. 5 School Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
42° 25.483′ N, 83° 17.829′ W. Marker is in Redford, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Beech Daly and Margareta Street, on the right when traveling south on Beech Daly. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18499 Beech Daly, Redford MI 48240, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Redford Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); Botsford Inn (approx. 1.9 miles away); Shiawassee Indian Trail (approx. 2 miles away); Clarenceville School District / Louis E. Schmidt Auditorium (approx. 2.2 miles away); Redford Township School District No. 9 (approx. 3.3 miles away); Detroit United Railway (approx. 3.8 miles away); Southfield Centre (approx. 3.8 miles away); Southfield United Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.9 miles away).
 
Redford Township District No. 5 School image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 9, 2021
3. Redford Township District No. 5 School
Note the belfry mentioned on marker
National Register of Historic Places marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 9, 2021
4. National Register of Historic Places marker
Was added to the register March 28, 1997
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 9, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170550

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021