Crowley's Ridge State Park is home to log and stone structures built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the 1930s. These structures set the mood for this park’s rustic warmth.
Constructing a Foundation
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the center structure was the first building constructed here by the men of the CCC Company 1729. They, along with other CCC companies, added the side buildings later. Typical of the “Rustic Resort Style,” it is built with local native stone and bald cypress timber from the nearby Cache and St. Francis river bottoms.
The park's official grand opening ceremony on July 4, 1935 featured the Little Rock Symphony performing for 5,000 park visitors. Since then, visitors have gathered here with family and friends for decades. What brings you to the park today?
Bottom left: Construction begins on the second floor.
Bottom middle: Preparing the roof for
Top right: Cutting bald cypress in the river bottoms.
Bottom right: Bathhouse completed in 1935.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Parks & Recreational Areas. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) 🏞️ series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1935.
Location. 36° 2.76′ N, 90° 39.867′ W. Marker is in Walcott, Arkansas, in Greene County. Marker can be reached from Arkansas Route 168 0.6 miles north of Arkansas Route 141, on the right when traveling north. Located within Crowley's Ridge State Park at the northern end.. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2092 State Hwy 168 N, Walcott AR 72474, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. CCC Stone Arch Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); 5th Arkansas Infantry Regiment (approx. 8˝ miles away); Paragould War Memorial (approx. 9.8 miles away).
Regarding CCC Pavilion. The 291 acre park was originally constructed in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps with original stone and log structures.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.