Salem in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fred Rider, an excellent carpenter, built this house circa 1900 with virgin white pine brought by horse and wagon from Frederic near Grayling in northern Michigan. The cut stone foundation and the exterior construction remain unaltered. Fred Rider was in charge of a sawmill in Salem and maintained the pumping station for the steam locomotives of the Pere Marquette Railroad. He was active in the community affairs, helping to build the Township Hall next door in 1908.
Erected by Washtenaw County Historic Distric Commission. (Marker Number SA-42.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 42° 24.333′ N, 83° 34.684′ W. Marker is in Salem, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is on Dickerson Street north of South Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salem MI 48175, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salem Township Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Novi Baseline Obelisk (approx. 2.6 miles away); Jarvis Stone School (approx. 3.1 miles away); John Wesley Conant House (approx. 3.3 miles away); Geer School (approx. 4˝ miles away); Colonel Samuel White / Samuel White Homestead (approx. 5.1 miles away); Little Village Chapel (approx. 5.1 miles away); "Witch's Hat" Depot (approx. 5.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 10, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.