Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Neches in Jefferson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church Of Port Neches

 
 
First United Methodist Church <small>Of Port Neches</small> Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cajun Scrambler, April 5, 2021
1. First United Methodist Church Of Port Neches Marker
Inscription.  
Before 1881 Methodists in Port Neches, then known as Grigsby's Bluff, were served by occasional circuit Riders who preached in private homes. On Sept. 6, 1881, the Rev. W. H. Crawford conducted a meeting to organize the first local Methodist church which began with a membership of sixteen.

Worship services continued to be held in members' homes until 1885. In that year a house, damaged in the process of being moved, was repaired and given to the church for its use. There the community held school classes as well as worship services by the light of coal oil lamps. A new building was erected in 1894 which served as both church and school until 1911 when a separate schoolhouse was built. A growing membership soon created the need for a larger building. Money was raised, and a new church was built in 1919 on the corner of Main and Nall streets where the congregation worshiped for thirty years.

In 1920 the Rev. W. E. Hassler became the first full-time minister. During his pastorate, the church grew rapidly and a Vacation Bible School was started.

The sanctuary on this site was erected in 1950. A new wing and an education building were

First United Methodist Church <small>Of Port Neches</small> Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cajun Scrambler, April 5, 2021
2. First United Methodist Church Of Port Neches Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
added in 1961. By 1981 membership had grown to number 1,100.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10524.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 29° 59.141′ N, 93° 57.585′ W. Marker is in Port Neches, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Nall Street near Eugene Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1826 Nall Street, Port Neches TX 77651, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Port Neches (approx. 0.7 miles away); Grigsby's Bluff (approx. ¾ mile away); Tex Ritter (approx. 1.1 miles away); First Mercantile Building (approx. 2 miles away); Interurban Rail Service (approx. 2.2 miles away); City of Nederland (approx. 2.2 miles away); W.M."Tex" Ritter (approx. 2.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Nederland (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Neches.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 10, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170582

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021