Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Independence Heights

 
 
Independence Heights Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, April 5, 2021
1. Independence Heights Marker
Inscription.  

Promoted by the Wright Land Company, the Independence Heights community began about 1908. Many black families purchased lots and built their own homes. A school was established in 1911.

Businesses in Independence Heights included retail stores, restaurants, building contractors, lumberyards, a blacksmith shop, tailor, and barber shop. Fraternal organizations were formed, as well as a number of churches: New Hope Missionary Baptist Church (founded in 1912 at this site), Green Chapel A. M. E., St. Paul C. M. E., Ebenezer M. E., Concord Missionary Baptist, and North Main Church of God in Christ.

By 1915 there were about four hundred residents. In that year an election was held and the city was incorporated. George O. Burgess was elected the first mayor. City improvements over the next few years included the shell paving of streets, plank sidewalks, and the installation of a municipal water system. O. L. Hubbard and Arthur L. McCullough, Sr. also served mayoral terms. In 1928 another election was held in which the city organization was dissolved. Independence Heights was annexed by the City of Houston on December 26, 1929.
Independence Heights Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, April 5, 2021
2. Independence Heights Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
The Independence Heights name is still associated with the area.
 
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10704.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is December 26, 1929.
 
Location. 29° 49.241′ N, 95° 23.637′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and East 38th Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. The marker is located in front of the Greater New Hope Baptist Church by the church sign. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7818 North Main Street, Houston TX 77022, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Booker T. Washington High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Houston Heights Woman's Club (approx. 1.2 miles away); Daniel Denton Cooley (approx. 1.3 miles away); David Barker House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Reagan Masonic Lodge No. 1037 A.F. & A.M. (approx. 1.4 miles away); Heights Church of Christ (approx. 1˝ miles away); Grace United Methodist Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Houston Heights City Hall and Fire Station (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
 
The view of the Independence Heights Marker from the road image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, April 5, 2021
3. The view of the Independence Heights Marker from the road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 10, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170616

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021