Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Acres Homes Community
In 1910, land developer Alfred A. Wright platted the first of several subdivisions that eventually became the African American community of Acres Homes. Wright sold parcels of varying sizes to residents who were attracted to the rural area by the inexpensive land, low taxes, and the absense of building restrictions, as well as the slow-paced life and wide-open spaces of rural living. Despite the lack of common municipal services such as electricity, street lights, garbage disposal, sewer and water, Acres Homes flourished as a self-contained community. In 1957, Negro Life magazine described Acres Homes as the "largest all-negro community in the United States." By 1974, the community extended roughly from West Tidwell to Gulfbank and from North Shepherd to White Oak Bayou and DuBoise. The residents included farmers, laborers, factory workers, "waterfront" workers and domestics who commuted to work in other parts of town.
The first church, Galilee Missionary Baptist, was organized in 1913, and the first school, White Oak Colored, opened in 1915. From the 1930s through the 1950s, a large migration of settlers moved into the
Integration and the gradual annexation of Acres Homes by the City of Houston from 1967 to 1974 brought population diversity and transformation to Acres Homes. However, Acres Homes continues to retain its strong community identity and civic pride.
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14113.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 29° 51.808′ N, 95° 25.699′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of West Montgomery Road and West Little York Road, on the left when traveling north on West Montgomery Road. The marker is located at the front of a gas station near the road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7615 West Montgomery Road, Houston TX 77088, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Greater Ward A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Galilee Missionary Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Rest Lawn CemeteryGeorge Washington Carver High School (approx. 1.1 miles away); St. John United Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Booker T. Washington High School (approx. 3.4 miles away); Independence Heights (approx. 3.6 miles away); Houston Heights Woman's Club (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 10, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.