Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Berryville in Carroll County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Carroll County First Court House

 
 
Carroll County First Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, February 2, 2015
1. Carroll County First Court House Marker
Inscription.  The first court house in Carroll County. Built about 1825, was constructed of logs and stood on the site of Carrollton. A second court house was built of brick, but burned in 1859. Another court house was built of brick on the same site after the War of Secession and continued in use until the removal of the county seat to Berryville in 1880. The county was named in honor of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
 
Erected 1936 by Arkansas Centennial Comm., Arkansas History Comm. (Marker Number C-11.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Arkansas Centennial Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1825.
 
Location. 36° 21.879′ N, 93° 34.037′ W. Marker is in Berryville, Arkansas, in Carroll County. Marker is on South Main Street (U.S. 62) just south of East Church Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Berryville AR 72616, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, measured as the crow flies. Berryville In The Civil War (within shouting distance of this marker); The Berlin Wall (approx. 9.2 miles away); Laundry Spring (approx. 9.6 miles away); Mud Street to Main Street (approx. 9.8 miles away); The Three Flat-Irons (approx. 9.8 miles away); Law Offices of F. O. Butt (approx. 9.8 miles away); The Perry House - Basin Park Hotel (approx. 9.8 miles away); The Basin Bath House (approx. 9.8 miles away).
 
More about this marker. One of 143 cast-iron markers placed across Arkansas in partnership with the Arkansas History Commission during the state's 1936 centennial. They were originally silver in color.
 
Also see . . .  Carroll County, AR. (Submitted on April 11, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 11, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on April 11, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170746

Paid Advertisement
May. 6, 2021