Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Edinburg in Cleveland County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

New Edinburg Commercial Historic District

 
 
New Edinburg Commercial Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 5, 2021
1. New Edinburg Commercial Historic District Marker
Inscription.  The New Edinburg Commercial Historic District, located along the north and south sides of Highway 8, was added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 4, 2001 as a representative collection of Craftsman style architecture reflecting the history of commerce in a small rural community from the 1890s to the 1940s. Eleven buildings comprise the district: the New Edinburg Hotel built in 1879 by Tom Clements and now a private home, Stewart Cash Store, Hamaker-Hearnsberger Store, Cathey Café & Barbershop, Parham Store, Parrot Grocery Store, Lash Store, Haskins Blacksmith Shop, Frey Store, Smith Service Garage, and one non-commercial building-the Gill Residence.

Settlement in this area began in the mid-1830s, when John Harvie Marks II purchased over 5000 acres of land. William Walker then built one of the first public buildings, the Free House Church, in 1838. Cleveland County's oldest Masonic lodge, Huey Lodge No. 78, opened its doors in 1854 and remains an active chapter. The town of New Edinburg drew attention during the Civil War when the Battle of Marks' Mills occurred nearby in 1864. In 1882 New Edinburg became

New Edinburg Commercial Historic District Marker (reverse) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 5, 2021
2. New Edinburg Commercial Historic District Marker (reverse)
Click or scan to see
this page online
connected to the “Cotton Belt" railroad and the town prospered. However, drought in 1929 and the Great Depression slowed development. The historic commercial district continues to be a reminder of a bygone era.
 
Erected 2020 by Re-New-Ing Edinburg. (Marker Number 12.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 4, 2001.
 
Location. 33° 45.497′ N, 92° 14.402′ W. Marker is in New Edinburg, Arkansas, in Cleveland County. Marker is on Arkansas Route 8 north of Banks Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6460 AR-8, New Edinburg AR 71660, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Battle of Marks' Mill (approx. 1.8 miles away); Witnesses to War (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Union Wagon Train Leaves Camden (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Battle at Marks' Mill (approx. 1.9 miles away); Battle of Marks' Mills / Marks Family Experience (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Battle Had Begun! (approx. 1.9 miles away); Cleveland County Battle of Mark's Mill (approx. 2 miles away); Shelby's Approach (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Edinburg.
 
View of marker looking North on AR-8. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 5, 2021
3. View of marker looking North on AR-8.
Buildings next to marker showing the Craftsman style of construction. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 5, 2021
4. Buildings next to marker showing the Craftsman style of construction.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 11, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 11, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170749

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021