Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. John United Church
A group of neighbors in the German farming community of Vollmer (later called White Oak) began meeting together for worship services in the 1860s. Property was purchased in 1866 on which a sanctuary was erected and a cemetery was established. The congregation was formally organized in 1872 as the St. John German Lutheran Church. Worship services were conducted in German until 1940. A sanctuary built in 1891 was relocated following the construction of a new facility in 1955. The congregation has been active for over 125 years.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15494.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1866.
Location. 29° 50.178′ N, 95° 27.724′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Mangum Road and Trembling Oaks, on the right when traveling north on Mangum Road. The marker is located in front of the main entrance to the Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4606 Mangum Road, Houston TX 77092, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 milesGeorge Washington Carver High School (approx. 2.6 miles away); Galilee Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Acres Homes Community (approx. 2.8 miles away); Greater Ward A.M.E. Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Rest Lawn Cemetery (approx. 3˝ miles away); First Baptist Church of Houston (approx. 3.7 miles away); Hard Times on the Frontier (approx. 3.9 miles away); St. Peter Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.