Hoover Potato Digger & Lakeside
The Hoover potato digger was the invention of Isaac W. Hoover (1845-1941). It was patented in 1885 and formally introduced to the world at the 1893 Chicago's World Fair. Over time, the digger became immensely popular and the Hoover Manufacturing Co. was established in Avery, Ohio. By 1916 the company was producing and shipping 5000 machines per year worldwide. Isaac and his wife, Hannah, built a lakefront cottage at Lakeside in 1918. Their only son, Arthur L. Hoover (1871-1947) served as secretary of the Hoover Mfg. Co. After many years of success, the Hoover Mfg. Co. was sold to the John Deere Plow Co. in 1926. A.L. Hoover then served as general manager of the Lakeside Association (1926-1946) and led the institution through great renewal.
During his tenure, Orchestra Hall was built, Hotel Lakeside improvements were made, a supervised playground in Central Park was opened, and construction began on a new auditorium. To ease the financial pressures of the Great Depression and complete construction of the over-budget Central Auditorium, the Hoover family donated $100,000 to Lakeside. Central Auditorium was renamed Hoover
Erected 2009 by Lakeside Association and Lakeside Heritage Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is July 5, 2009.
Location. 41° 32.599′ N, 82° 44.992′ W. Marker is in Lakeside, Ohio, in Ottawa County. Marker is at the intersection of West 4th Street and Walnut Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 338 Walnut Ave, Lakeside Marblehead OH 43440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Fire of October 20, 1929 / The Lakeside Volunteer Fire Protective Association (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Danbury Township World War Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lakeside (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Light / The Keepers of the Light (approx. 2 miles away); The View From Here (approx. 2 miles away); Lake Erie (approx. 2 miles away); Marblehead Lighthouse (approx. 2 miles away); The Keeper’s House (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lakeside.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 12, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.