Tomball in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Griffin Memorial House
Built about 1860 by Eugene Pillot, one of the sons of Claude Nicholas Pillot, early Harris County settler. Taught trade by his father, Eugene Pillot became an outstanding builder in Texas coastal area.
Original site of this house (near Atascosita Trail route) was south of Willow Creek, where General Sam Houston often stopped as a guest.
Owned by family of John B. Griffin from 1920 to 1965.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969
Supplemental Plate: Given in 1965 to Spring Creek County Historical Association by Mrs. Ruth Griffin McCourt in memory of her father, Edmond B. Griffin.
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10675.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 30° 5.972′ N, 95° 37.214′ W. Marker is in Tomball, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of North Pine Street and Epps Street, on the left when traveling north on North Pine Street. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pillot Family (here, next to this marker); Tomball (approx. 0.4 miles away); Texas Railroads, C. S. A. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Spring Creek County (approx. 1.9 miles away); Spring Creek Park Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Site of Confederate Powder Mill (approx. 2.2 miles away); Salem Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 2˝ miles away); Pillot Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tomball.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 12, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.