Oklahoma in Montgomery County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early residents of what would become the Oklahoma settlement moved into the area in the middle to late 19th century. Families farmed, raised livestock and used the rail station at nearby Hufsmith for shipment of local products.
Because early settlers were interested in the education of their children, they built the first Oklahoma Community School by 1880 with a $300 donation and property from the G.V. Leslie family, adjacent to what would become the Oklahoma Cemetery. This one-room building was used as a school and church house. In July 1923, residents constructed a two-room school building on two acres purchased from John and Ida Hirsch for $90. It burned in 1930, and later that year, the Montgomery County School District erected another two-room schoolhouse in its place, with A.L. Standard as contractor. Students held box suppers to raise money for playground and sports equipment.
Beginning in 1936, students in the seventh grade and higher attended school in Tomball, and in 1944, all students transferred to Magnolia Schools. The schoolhouse never reopened, serving instead as a community center and election polling place.
Today, the Oklahoma School remains a focal point for the area, serving as an important reminder of the early education efforts of the community's pioneer farm families. As the area's population continues to grow as a result of its proximity to an expanding urban center, the historic schoolhouse reflects community pride, identity and heritage.
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13122.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1923.
Location. 30° 9.321′ N, 95° 35.586′ W. Marker is in Oklahoma, Texas, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Hufsmith Conroe Road and Carraway Lane, on the right when traveling north on Hufsmith Conroe Road. The marker is located left of the entrance to the Oklahoma Community Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27222 Hufsmith Conroe Road, Magnolia TX 77354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oklahoma Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Zion Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Tomball (approx. 4.1 miles away); Pillot Family (approx. 4.2 miles away); Griffin Memorial House (approx. 4.2 miles away); Texas Railroads, C. S. A.Spring Creek Park Cemetery (approx. 4.7 miles away); Site of Confederate Powder Mill (approx. 4.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.