Near Tomball in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Zion Lutheran Cemetery
The cemetery began as a family burial ground in 1873, upon the death of one-year-old Bertha Mueller, daughter of Juliane and Wilhelm Mueller. Additional Mueller and Stuebner family members were soon interred at the site, which was later known as Mueller-Stuebner Cemetery, Stuebner Cemetery, and Hufsmith Lutheran Cemetery.
In 1905, the Muellers and Stuebners and other Hufsmith area families joined together under the leadership of Pastor G.W. Fischer to form the Evangelical Lutheran Zion Church. Henry and
Numerous grave markers in the cemetery reflect birth in Germany, and many of the marker inscriptions are written in German. Burials in the cemetery include those of veterans of the Civil War, World War I and World War II. Although Zion Lutheran Church outgrew its 1907 building and relocated to Tomball in 1959, the church continues to care for the cemetery.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15739.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
Location. 30° 8.196′ N, 95° 34.203′ W. Marker is near Tomball, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on Zion Lutheran Cemetery Road north of Wendtwoods Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tomball TX 77375, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oklahoma School (approx. 1.9 miles away); Oklahoma Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Tomball (approx. 3.7 miles away); Texas Railroads, C. S. A. (approx. 3.8 miles away); Pillot Family (approx. 3.9 miles away); Griffin Memorial House (approx. 3.9 miles away); Spring Creek Park Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Pillot Cemetery (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tomball.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 22 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 12, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.