Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Rutherford B.H. Yates, Sr., House

 
 
Rutherford B.H. Yates, Sr., House Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, April 11, 2021
1. Rutherford B.H. Yates, Sr., House Marker
Inscription.  

Rutherford Birchard Hayes Yates (1878-1944), son of the Rev. John Henry "Jack" and Harriet Yates, grew up next door to this property (in a house later relocated to Sam Houston Park.) Yates followed in his father's footsteps as a civic and religious leader in Houston's Fourth Ward, originally known as Freedmen's Town, a spiritual, cultural and business district for African Americans in Houston since the Civil War.

Following his graduation in 1906 from Bishop College in Marshall, Texas, with a degree in printing, Rutherford Yates taught school in Vinto, Louisiana, and Palestine, Texas, before moving to Dallas with his wife, Erie (Sherrod), and their infant daughter. In 1908, they moved to Houston and resided in the Yates family home until this house was completed in 1912. A well-preserved and typical example of the middle class residences built in the Fourth Ward in the early 20th century, the Yates house features leaded glass windows, a wraparound porch with Classical columns, and doors with transoms and sidelights.

During the time that the Yates family occupied this house, Rutherford Yates worked with several African American
Rutherford B.H. Yates, Sr., House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, April 11, 2021
2. Rutherford B.H. Yates, Sr., House and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
printers and taught at the Houston Academy (founded by his father) where he had attended school as a young boy. In 1922, he and his brother Paul established the Yates Printing Company, which grew and prospered over the years until it closed after 1978. At a time when commercial lodging for African Americans in Houston was limited, Rutherford and Erie Yates and their children -- Johnnie Mae, Olee and Rutherford -- often opened their home to visiting dignitaries and delegates to church and other conventions. The house remained in the Yates family ownership until 1994.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1998
 
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11691.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
 
Location. 29° 45.35′ N, 95° 22.854′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on Andrews Street 0.1 miles east of Wilson Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1314 Andrews Street, Houston TX 77019, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Reverend Ned P. Pullum (within shouting distance of this marker); St. James United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); J. Vance Lewis
The view of the Yates House and Marker from the road image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, April 11, 2021
3. The view of the Yates House and Marker from the road
(within shouting distance of this marker); Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry Livingston Thompson (about 700 feet away); William C. Swearingen (about 700 feet away); John Richardson (about 700 feet away); Robert W. Montgomery (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170860

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021